We're looking for an experienced journalist to report on the international oil and gas sector.
The successful candidate will have significant proven reporting experience (this is not a graduate role), ideally in the form of long-lead projects focusing onthe extractive industries, and be capable of initiating and delivering high-quality, original investigative work. They will have a deep understanding of the reporting process, a commitment to best-practice, collaborative journalism, and a desire to help SourceMaterial grow.
Closing date: 5 November 2021
Senior Investigative Journalist – oil and gas, SourceMaterial:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively in a small team of experienced journalists under the direction of the Editor to design and carry out in-depth investigations focused on the oil and gas industry
- Collaborate with colleagues, partner organisations and mainstream media to maximise the impact of publications
- Share in developing the SourceMaterial project and increasing its reach and influence
At least five years’ experience of planning and producing high-quality investigative journalism
- A strong track record of published work
- A close understanding of the extractive industries, preferably with experience of reporting on, and contacts in, the international oil and gas industry
- Exemplary journalistic ethics and the ability to work to the highest standards
- Knowledge of media law and legal risks associated with investigative reporting
- The ability to generate and develop story ideas independently
- The ability to work collaboratively with mainstream media partners and colleagues
- Preference will be shown for candidates offering additional attributes such as digital and multimedia skills, foreign languages, data journalism, open-source intelligence techniques or coding
What we offer
- Salary: approx. £55k
- The opportunity to work in a team of expert journalists
- A flexible work environment and the space to shape and continuously develop your role
- Fixed term one-year contract (with a view to extension subject to funding)
Central London preferred, with remote working considered for exceptional candidates. We will not offer support for relocation. You must have the right to work in your location.
As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please indicate “Senior Investigative Journalist – oil and gas,SourceMaterial” in the subject line.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.
We are committed to diversity andinclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.