Update May 31: The application process has now closed.
SourceMaterial, a non-profit investigative journalism project, is looking for a journalist to join our small but growing team.
The successful candidate will have experience of producing deep-dive investigative work. Whether they have a background as a journalist or not, they will have strong instincts for what makes a good story, a thorough understanding of the journalistic process, and a sense of how excellent journalism can illuminate and reveal.
We are looking for someone brimming with original story ideas they will develop through best-practice reporting; and for someone who can bring new skills to our team.
That could be a foreign language, data skills, open-source techniques or coding expertise, or anything else that will add new perspectives to our reporting.
You will also be keen to help raise the profile of SourceMaterial and help the project grow.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and carry out in-depth investigations for publication by SourceMaterial and media partners across topics including business, politics, corruption and climate change.
- Work with colleagues to develop the SourceMaterial project and increase the impact of its reporting.
- Work collaboratively in a small team of experienced journalists under the direction of the Editor, SourceMaterial.
- Experience of planning and producing pieces of investigative journalism
- A track record of work that has resulted in publication
- Knowledge of journalistic practice and the ability to work to the highest journalistic standards
- The ability to generate and develop story ideas independently
- The ability to work collaboratively, both with mainstream media partners and SourceMaterial colleagues
- Foreign language skills
- Qualifications in journalism or other investigative work
- Contacts with potential mainstream media partners
- Knowledge of media law and legal risks associated with investigative reporting
- Familiarity with specialist techniques including data management, open-source intelligence techniques, coding, or other relevant areas.
- Digital media and multimedia skills
What we can offer you
- The opportunity to work in a team of expert journalists who combine ambition with a rigorous and results-oriented approach
- A flexible work environment and the space to shape and continuously develop your role
- Fixed term one-year contract (with view to renew subject to funding)
- Competitive remuneration
Central London. We will not offer support for relocation. You must have the required work permits to work in the UK.
As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.